Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What’s Kylie doing on a public holiday in January – by Kylie

Apart from sweltering in the heat I have been reading a play – a new work, by another new local writer Sam Stewart, I’ve also been assisting Zoe from BTC with a funding application. I know, it’s a public holiday – and possibly ‘unAustralian’ to be working (but Ive never been sure about what that really means)

I’m always interested in new opportunities; reading plays, working with young writers and helping to find more funding to support these amazing theatre makers is an incredibly important part of what makes opportunities happen, and therefore makes the Bathurst region a culturally exciting place to live.. and also I’m taking tomorrow afternoon off to head to Sydney to see Gavin Webber & Grayson Millwood’s new work Food Chain which is a part of the Sydney Festival.
Seeing new shows is an exciting part of my job, although seeing new work developing in the region is more so!

I’ve also spent sometime today reflecting on the last few weeks, and thinking about all the exciting productions coming up; This last week has seen Angela Prior and Aaron Hopper back at BMEC, while we plan The Inland Sea of Sound – running from 10 April for 1 week, it is a great festival, which brings world music to Bathurst. This year we are planning a film night as part of the festival. It looks like being another fantastic event, and the nation should start seeing some media coverage for this in the next few weeks. Aaron is also working to assist Flamenco guitarist Andrew Veivers , on his NSW Tour playing a gig with him in Sydney and working with us to support Andrew with a venue for his Bathurst Concert (8 Feb) and workshop (10 Feb). Can’t wait to hear Andrew performing in the Wattle Foyer.

Also in the Wattle Foyer in February, Aaron will be playing at the Tormentors & Teasers Supper Club on the 14th following TURNS . For us theatre boffins it will be a lovely way to spend Valentines Day!

Angela has also been meeting with us to get the Aboriginal Performing Arts Program up and running in 2011, again plans for this program include getting the circus program up and running again, continuing the dance program and offering the girls some radio production training.
Last year one of the girls who has been involved in the program expressed interest in enrolling at TAFE. This would be a wonderful outcome for the program and I’m really looking forward to following her journey. The next APAP meeting with the community is next week and I’m sure it will be informative.
This program has opened my eyes to a range of issues in our region, hopefully some of which we can do our bit to address. Also last week Stephen and I met with Arts OutWest and Desert Pea Media to discuss the Arts OutWest Aboriginal Arts Program through the region.
This partnership will bring great opportunities to the region, including a showcase in July. I’m looking forward to continuing to work with Ted and Tracey at Arts OutWest to develop this further.

This Sunday I will be at BMEC all day – with The Sand Dwellers doing a run on Sunday morning.. can’t wait to have a peak at what Becky and the team have been up to.
Marketing for The Sand Dwellers gets underway this week too...Sunday afternoon will be Alison’s auditions for Talk2Me . I’m looking forward to meeting some of the talented young dancers in the region and getting stuck into the development of this new work.

Also next week our intern Sam will be getting creative with Cate McCarthy at Yetholme, the Witch project is coming together beautifully, and the weekend of 12 and 13 February will be a rehearsal intensive as well as a ‘making’ weekend. We will be inviting the community to join us.. don’t miss out, it will be an afternoon of messy fun while we make lanterns and other props for the show. If you are like me – you will be sure to be learning some new techniques along the way...

So while I watch news footage of police on beaches in Sydney arresting ‘proud Australians’ I consider that I am incredibly lucky to live where I do, I can work at home when it suits me, I have time to spend with my kids, and work with a range of intelligent people with something positive to offer the Cental West, I look forward to working with more and more artists, and the program continuing to develop over the next few years and I hope that those boys on the tele are not the ones that see the evocities campaign..

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like there is a whole lot of great stuff to look forward to in 2011. Thanks so much for your blog too :)
    Mal Kiely
    [c/-2MCE-FM]

    ReplyDelete